Dr. Anthony Adamo
Dr. Anthony Adamo, a board-certified neurologist near West Islip NY, founded Nassau Suffolk Neurology. With over 15+ years of practice, Dr. Adamo received his undergraduate degree from Columbia University and is a graduate of NYCOM Medical School.
He is devoted to maintaining the highest standards of clinical excellence, providing each patient with the dignity, care, and respect that they deserve. Our practice is centrally located at 400 West Main Street in Babylon.
Nassau Suffolk Neurology, P.C. is devoted to the accurate and compassionate diagnosis and treatment of neurological disorders. Dr. Adamo has many years of experience and the practice is devoted to maintaining the highest standards of clinical excellence. Each patient is treated with the dignity, respect and care that they expect and deserve.
What is a Neurologist?
Do you have pain in your spine, brain, or nerves? If so, you should visit our Neurologist in Amityville NY at Nassau Suffolk Neurology. Dr. Adamo provides quality care to his patients, and ensures that each individual leaves his office in a better condition than when they entered. A neurologist specializes in disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system. This area includes your spinal cord, nerves, and brain. If you or someone you know suffers from a neurological disorder, do not hesitate to get in touch with our neurologist in Amityville NY at Nassau Suffolk Neurology. We strive to provide the best service to our patients in need.
What Does A Neurologist Treat?
There are certain neurological disorders that our neurologist in Amityville NY will treat.
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Headache Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Infections in the Brain
- Speech Disorders
Some symptoms that occur due to these diseases are partial or complete paralysis, muscle weakness, partial or complete loss of sensation, seizures, difficulty reading and writing, poor cognitive abilities, unexplained pain, and decreased alertness.
If you are looking for a neurologist in Amityville NY, then Nassau Suffolk Neurology is the place for you!
What Can a Neurologist Do For You?
Nassau Suffolk Neurology, which is a neurologist in Amityville NY, offers an array of tests that can be done to help your nervous system! We offer EMG, EEG, BAER, VER, Balance testing, and an ANS Study. If anyone needs a neurologist, Nassau Suffolk Neurology is a high-quality neurologist in Amityville NY.
Due to there being such a wide range of diseases that a neurologist treats, there are various forms of treatment that the neurologist might suggest. The type of treatment a neurologist will suggest will vary greatly depending on what the injury is. A patient who has severe headaches will receive different treatment than a patient who has epilepsy.
Neurologist in Amityville NY
Dr. Anthony Adamo fulfills the high expectations that his patient set out for him. With over 25 years of clinical experience in the neurology field, he has been serving the Long Island community with the highest care. If you or someone you know suffer from any of these neurological disorders, then book an appointment with our neurologist in Amityville NY, with Nassau Suffolk Neurology!
Dr. Anthony Adamo, a board-certified neurologist near West Islip, founded Nassau Suffolk Neurology in Babylon, New York. With over 15+ years of practice, Dr. Adamo received his undergraduate degree from Columbia University and is a graduate of NYCOM Medical School.
He is devoted to maintaining the highest standards of clinical excellence, providing each patient with the dignity, care, and respect that they deserve. Our practice is centrally located at 400 West Main Street in Babylon. We have the knowledge and expertise needed to help you reach a proper diagnoses and treat your condition. Make an appointment with our neurologist in Amityville NY today!
What are the Different Types of Pain?
If you suffer from different types of pain and are seeking a neurologist In Amityville NY, contact Nassau Suffolk Neurology for more information today! Pain is something that everyone should live without, however, millions of people suffer from pain every day. Some pain is more severe than others, but they should all be treated. Some of the different types of pain are:
Acute Pain: it’s a short term pain that hits suddenly and has a direct cause. It typically does not last for more than six months.Examples: broken bones, surgery, dental work, cuts, burns.
Chronic Pain: Mild to severe pain that lasts for at least six months, but typically lasts for years. Can be caused by past injuries, but also has no apparent cause at times.
Examples: frequent migraines, nerve pain damage, low back pain, arthritis.
Nociceptive Pain: it’s the most common type of pain, and it is caused by the stimulation of nociceptors. Two types:
Visceral Pain: Injuries to your internal organs
Somatic Pain: Injuries to your tissues(Skin, muscles, joints)
Neuropathic Pain: It comes from a damaged nervous system. It can be caused by:
- Car Accidents
If you suffer from any of these types of pain, visit Nassau Suffolk Neurology. Our neurologists in Amityville NY will help relieve your pain right away!
How Can a Neurologist Treat Your Pain?
There is no reason for someone to suffer from pain. One of the best ways to resolve your pain is through neurological therapy. Our neurologists in Amityville NY can help relieve pain all throughout your body. Some ways that a neurologist can help are:
- Avoid surgery
- Treat neuropathy
- Recover from a stroke
- Recover from or prevent concussions
- Improve balance
- Manage headaches
- Manage age-related issues
- Treat post-traumatic conditions
If you are looking to improve in any of these fields, contact our neurologist in Amityville NY. Our staff wants to ensure that you get back to your normal self without any problems.
If you are looking for a neurologist In Amityville NY, then book an appointment with Nassau Suffolk Neurology! We will make sure that you are back to yourself in a matter of no time.
Epilepsy is considered to be one of the more severe neurological disorders of the central nervous system. It results in the brain’s activity becoming abnormal, which can cause seizing, sensations, and loss of awareness. Nassau Suffolk Neurology specializes in the treatment of epilepsy and our doctor Anthony Adamo is a qualified neurologist in Amityville NY. Contact us today if you or someone you know suffers from epilepsy and is seeking treatment.
How Does it Occur?
Although the exact cause is mostly unknown, epilepsy results from a disruption in the human body sending messages to the brain. There have also been studies to prove that some people have inherited genetic factors that make some patients more susceptible to epileptic seizures. Some other factors include head trauma, brain conditions, infectious diseases, and developmental disorders.
Anyone is able to develop epilepsy, however, it is most common in children who are under the age of two and adults who are over the age of 65. Get in touch with our neurologist in Amityville NY to seek the treatment you need to stabilize your epilepsy.
There are many symptoms that come with epilepsy, and these symptoms vary depending on what part of the brain it affects and how severe the case is. Some of these symptoms are:
- A convulsion with no temperature
- For a short period, the person is unresponsive to instructions or questions
- Dazed and unable to communicate
- Repetitive movements
- Changes in senses
- Temporary confusion
- A staring spell
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs
- Loss of consciousness or awareness
- Psychic symptoms such as fear, anxiety or deja vu
Many of these symptoms can be properly handled by a neurologist in Amityville NY.
There is not yet a cure for epilepsy, so different people require various types of treatment for epilepsy due to the wide range of symptoms that it can cause. One form of treatment is medication. Many doctors, including Anthony Adamo at Nassau Suffolk Neurology, offer anti-seizure medications.
Another form of treatment is surgery. Surgery is only done after exhausting all other options. The area that is being operated does not interfere with your vitals, as it is not a life-threatening case. Lastly, there is therapy. Some people will have to treat their epilepsy throughout their entire lives, however, some people regress their symptoms as they age.
Visit us at Nassau Suffolk Neurology for further treatment. Anthony Adamo, our neurologist in Amityville NY, would love to help you!
Neurologist in Amityville NY
Book an appointment with Nassau Suffolk Neurology! Our neurologist in Amityville NY will give you the proper care you need and deserve. For those of you who don’t know, an epilepsy diagnosis should be performed after two unprovoked seizures. If you are looking for a neurologist in Amityville NY, then Nassau Suffolk Neurology is the perfect place for you!
Working Towards Better Sleep Habits
Sleep is a necessary component of life that everyone does and needs. Sleep plays a crucial role in your health and well-being. Getting the proper amount of sleep will benefit your mental health, physical health, and quality of life. While you are sleeping, your body is working to maintain a healthy brain function and your physical health. This is especially important for teens and children because their brains and bodies are still developing. Therefore they must get their required amount of sleep consistently, or it can affect their long-term health. If you have difficulty sleeping, book an appointment with Nassau Suffolk Neurology. Our neurologist in Amityville NY can help you sleep like a baby!
Why You Might Be Tired
There are a variety of reasons why you might not be getting the right amount of sleep. You may be sleep deficient if you doze off while:
- Watching TV
- Riding in a Car for Over an Hour
- Talking to Someone
- Sitting Quietly after Lunch
- Sitting in Traffic for a Few Minutes
If you suffer from a sleep deficiency, it can cause learning, focusing, and slow reaction time. If you doze off during any of the activities above, contact our neurologist in Amityville NY.
What You Can Do for Better Sleep
There are a few things that you can do to improve your sleep at night. Some of the things that can be done are:
- Increase the exposure to Bright Light during the day
- Reduce Blue Light Exposure During the Evening
- Don’t Consume Caffeine later in the day
- Don’t take long daytime naps
- Fall Asleep and Wake Up at consistent times
- Take Melatonin
- Don’t Drink Alcohol
- Optimize Bedroom Environment
- Don’t Eat Late in the Evening
- Clear Your Mind in the Evening
- Take a Bath or Shower
Even if you do a couple of these tips, you may see a drastic difference in the quality of your sleep. Other things can be done to improve the quality of your sleep. To learn what else can be done, talk to our neurologist in Amityville NY.
If you are looking for ways to get better sleep habits then come on down to Nassau Suffolk Neurology! Our neurologist in Amityville NY will give you the tools you need to sleep longer and better at night.
What is an EMG test?
If you are seeking a neurologist in Amityville NY, then contact Nassau Suffolk Neurology today. Electromyography (EMG) is a medical test performed to study nerve and muscle functioning. Specifically, it measures how well your muscles are responding to signals from nerves, which are meant to result in movement. An EMG test is often prescribed when patients are experiencing unexplained muscle weakness.
The test helps distinguish the root of the issue whether it be problems within the muscle, weakness due to pain, or a nerve irritation/injury. Results of the test can help our neurologist in Amityville NY identify the exact location and the extent of your injury as well as provide some indication of whether or not the damage is reversible.
Before the test:
- You and your doctor will discuss the procedure along with any questions you may have.
- Notify your doctor of all medications and herbal supplements you take as well as if you have a pacemaker.
- Shower to remove any oils from the skin and avoid lotions and creams.
- Wear clothing that allows easy access to the injured area or can be easily removed.
- Follow your doctor’s specific preparation instructions based on your condition.
During the test:
- You’ll be asked to remove any objects that may interfere with the test such as glasses, jewelry, hair pins, hearing aids, etc.
- Our neurologist in Amityville NY will locate the affected muscle and cleanse the surrounding skin.
- Next, they will insert one or more fine needles into the muscle and place a metal place under you.
- If you’re in pain, it is important to let your doctor know as this can throw off your test results.
- The examiner will have you relax and contract the muscle. As you do so, the electrical activity from the muscle will be displayed on the oscilloscope screen. The size and shape of the waveform gives doctors information on your muscles responsiveness.
- A healthy muscle will only show electrical activity upon contraction. Abnormal activity during rest or contraction may indicate muscle/nerve damage.
After the test:
- You may experience some soreness a day or two following the exam.
- Let your doctor know if your symptoms worsen or you’re experience swelling or pus in the area tested.
- Follow any specific instructions given by your doctor following the procedure.
Neurologist In Amityville NY
If you are seeking a neurologist in Amityville NY for an EMG test – or any other neurological diagnosis/treatment – look no further than Nassau Suffolk Neurology, P.C. We are dedicated to providing patients with the respect and care they deserve. Schedule your appointment with us today!
What Is A BAER Test?
If your child is experiencing difficulty hearing, you should seek out our Neurologist in Amityville NY at Nassau Suffolk Neurology to undergo a BAER Test.
BAER is identified as a brainstem auditory evoked response test to recognize how your mind treats the noises you hear. This examination can also be recognized as a brainstorm auditory evoked potential (BAEP) or auditory brainstem response test (ABR). This test is used to help diagnose hearing loss and nervous system complications. It is utilized mostly for younger children who cannot participate in regular hearing tests. If your child has trouble hearing, visit a Suffolk neurology doctor today to see if a BAER test is needed.
What occurs during a BAER test?
These tests do not last long and are relatively easy. Although there is no way to prepare for the test, your child’s doctor might ask for their hair to be washed to make sure that excess oils are diminished. As for the test itself, our Suffolk neurology practice will place small electrodes on their ears and scalp. These electrodes are joined to a device that registers how their brain replies to the sounds. Our doctor will then place headphones on you with a recording of sounds. The machine will record how if your child hears the sounds properly without having to do anything.
What does a negative test entail?
Unusual test results can mean many different things. Most of the time it means your child has hearing loss or damage to your nervous system. These could be generated from:
Visit a Suffolk neurology doctor to see if your child’s hearing needs to be checked through a BAER test.
When a BAER test is usually performed:
As said earlier, this method is usually performed on newborns or young children. If your child is premature, BAER testing is usually used. It does not immediately mean that your child has hearing problems, further testing needs to be performed to make sure. Fluid in the ears and blocked ear canals could impact the way the test results show up. Another common reason for this test would be if your child has developmental delays. Stop into a Neurologist in Amityville NY today to see if the BAER test is the next step for your child.
If you or a loved one is experiencing the beginning stages of Alzheimers and is seeking the assistance of a Neurologist in Amityville NY, Nassau Suffolk Neurology is here to help you. Contact us today for more information.
Do you ever walk into a room and forget why you were there? We all forget things once in a while, but if memory is becoming a frequent problem, you might want to talk to a doctor. Anthony F. Adamo, a Neurologist in Amityville NY, can help you detect those early signs of Alzheimer’s disease. Dr. Adamo is an experienced neurologist who is certified by the American Board of Neurology. To book an appointment with Dr. Adamo, call Nassau Suffolk Neurology today!
Symptoms of Alzheimer’s
It’s important to know that forgetfulness is a normal stage in adult life. However, if memory is becoming a hurdle for you everyday, then you could be showing early signs of Alzheimer’s disease. Symptoms can vary depending on age, but it’s important to know what Alzheimer’s symptoms are. Here are some common signs of Alzheimer’s disease:
- Memory loss: This is the most common and obvious symptom, but it can also be the most tricky to understand. Forgetting the name of a person you just met or forgetting where you parked aren’t serious memory issues. However, if you find yourself forgetting important life events or people, then this might be a sign that your brain is slowing down. Until you get help from a doctor, consider writing down things on a post-it or put reminders on your phone.
- Disorientation: People who are showing early signs of Alzheimer’s start to feel disoriented and lost. They tend to lose track of the time, day, or even month. They can also get themselves lost, and end up in an unknown place. This symptom can even be dangerous at times, which is why it’s important for a loved one to acknowledge these symptoms.
- Mood changes: Changes in a person’s temperament may be signs of Alzheimer’s. For example, if a person was once social or cheerful, they can become angry, sad, stubborn, suspicious or depressed. Because depression often accompanies Alzheimer’s disease, other symptoms include loss of interest in hobbies, sleeping too much or less, changes in appetite, and feeling helpless.
- Trouble talking: One of the signs of Alzheimer’s is having trouble communicating. Sometimes people can forget words, which makes it hard for them to talk. For example, if someone with Alzheimer’s were to ask for a glass of water, they might forget the word glass or water.
Treatment can help you relieve these symptoms, however, treatment can not cure Alzheimer’s altogether. Because symptoms vary for each person, Alzheimer’s treatment is different for everybody. Treating your Alzheimer’s symptoms can give a person their freedom and comfort back. Medicine works best for people who are in the early stages, but some non-drug alternatives like therapy and changes in the environment can help too. Our Neurologist in Amityville NY, Dr. Anthony Adamo is highly trained to deal with all types of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimers and can instruct you during your visit on how you go about treating it.
When To See A Doctor
The sooner you seek help from a doctor, the more time you have to be independent. If you or a loved one is looking for a Neurologist in Amityville NY, then you should contact Dr. Anthony F. Adamo today. With Dr. Adamo’s help, you can be one step closer to gaining control of your life again. Diagnosing Alzheimer’s as early as possible can benefit you in the long run. Don’t wait for life to pass you by and call Nassau Suffolk Neurology for a Neurologist in Amityville NY today!
Treating Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis is an extremely dangerous disease that can potentially disable your brain and spinal cord. Unfortunately, there is no cure for multiple sclerosis, but there are many different forms of treatment. However, if you do not treat your multiple sclerosis or the treatment is done improperly, then it can do a lot more and worse damage to your body. If you or a loved one suffer from multiple sclerosis then you should contact our Neurologist in Amityville NY. Nassau Suffolk Neurology wants to ensure that you are as healthy as you can be!
Many symptoms can come from multiple sclerosis. Some of these symptoms consist of:
- Numbness/Weakness in limbs on one side of your body
- Electric-Shock Sensations when there’s movement in your neck
- Blurry Vision
- Prolonged Double Vision
- Loss of Vision
- Slurred Speech
- Pain in different parts of your body
These are some of the many symptoms that can occur if you have multiple sclerosis. If you suffer from any of these symptoms, you should visit our Neurologist in Amityville NY right away!
There are also a variety of risk factors that come along with multiple sclerosis. Some of these risk factors include:
- Smokers are 1.5 more likely to develop Mulitple Sclerosis.
- The more obese you are, the more likely you are to get Multiple Sclerosis.
- Although it is not a hereditary disorder if someone in your immediate family suffers from Multiple Sclerosis than your chances are at a higher risk.
- Environmental Factors
- The climate can affect the likeliness of someone getting Multiple Sclerosis.
- Autoimmune Diseases
- If you suffer from Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Type 1 Diabetes, Autoimmune Thyroid Disease, Psoriasis, and Rheumatoid Arthritis then your chances of getting Multiple Sclerosis are increased.
- Age, Sex, Race
- Multiple Sclerosis is most common in white women.
- Other Factors
- A variety of viruses can increase your chances at Multiple Sclerosis.
These are some of the risk factors for Multiple Sclerosis. As stated previously there is no cure for Multiple Sclerosis, so if you want the best treatment, visit our Neurologist in Amityville NY office.
If you or a loved one is suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, book an appointment with Nassau Suffolk Neurology. Our Neurologist in Amityville NY wants to ensure that you are healthy and fully functioning!